The Young Adults Private Rental Entry Program (YAPREP) aims to support young people with an emerging or diagnosed mental health diagnosis to enable them to enter the private rental market.
The Young Adults Private Rental Entry Program is non-crisis focused and co-case managed with the YAPREP staff member working with VincentCare or external services to support the young person to apply, enter and sustain private rental.
The program administers a $2,000 brokerage to promote the smooth transition into private rental for the young person.
YAPREP works within the Young Adult Support Services team, which works with a number of organisations to ensure that the best outcomes are achieved for every client including:
- North East Housing
- Local youth refuges
- Mental Health services
- Alcohol and Other Drug services
- Department of Human Services
- Western Region Health Centre
To be eligible for the Young Adults Private Rental Entry Program the applicant must be:
- Aged 17-25 years
- Experiencing homelessness but have stable accommodation in the short term (no crisis accommodation is available)
- Case managed by existing services
- Living with an emerging or diagnosed mental illness
- Linked to mental health services and in the process of active recovery
- Willing to return to work, training or study
- Have private rental as their preferred housing option
- Motivated to work on acquiring the skills to achieve their goals
- Ineligible for public housing
Referrals are made by agency staff from youth related programs such as youth mental health care providers, psychosocial rehabilitation programs or youth specific services should call to discuss potential referrals.
Referrals need to be lodged well before the client is due to leave their current accommodation as part of their exit planning.
Referral forms will be forwarded to agency staff and the applicant will be asked to participate in an assessment for the program.
Once the young adult has commenced with the program, it is expected that existing case management and mental health support will continue and that a sound mental health care plan is in place.
Address: 175 Glenroy Road, Glenroy 3046
Phone: (03) 9304 0100
Fax: (03) 9304 0102