Private Rental Brokerage Program
Providing financial assistance to young people who are being supported by a support service in the North-West metropolitan region of Melbourne.
About the Program
The Private Rental Brokerage (PRB) program aims to help young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness secure and sustain long term housing in the private rental market. Packages of up to $2000 are available to young people for:
- Budgeting incentive – for budgeting and financial management purposes. This can be in the form of Rent in Advance, Bond, or an arranged rent subsidy.
- Tenancy setup costs – for material assistance for the purchase of essential goods that are necessary to establish and maintain the tenancy (such as furniture, whitegoods or other household items). Removalist costs may also be included.
- Property Enhancement Grant (PEG) – grant to undertake agreed works to improve rental premises before or during the tenancy.
- All packages are for up to $2000
- Once a property has been sourced, please provide the required lease documentation to the PRB Coordinator to commence payments
- Once approved, the package will remain active for a 90-day (3 month) period. If private rental is not achieved in this period, the package will be closed.
Case managers can reapply; however, priority will be given to applicants who have not applied before.
- Once expenditure has commenced, brokerage remains active for a further 3 months
- Once expenditure is complete, the PRB Coordinator will email a closure letter and feedback consent form to the case manager
Young people aged 17-25 years who are currently experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness and are:
- Receiving ongoing case management support by a participating support agency in the Northern and Western Metropolitan regions of Melbourne
- Receiving a stable income through Centrelink benefits and/or wages
- Committed to establishing private rental as a long-term housing option
- Aware of their rights and responsibilities as a private renter
- Capable of sustaining a private rental agreement beyond the period of assistance from brokerage funding
Case managers are encouraged to contact the PRB Coordinator regarding general enquiries:
PRIVATE RENTAL BROKERAGE
175 Glenroy Road, Glenroy
Phone: (03) 9304 0100
How to apply (for Case Manager use)
Applications for PRB must be made by the case manager working with the young person wanting to secure private rental accommodation. Applications need to be submitted prior to securing private rental to avoid the disappointment of missing out and for ease of administration.
The worker is required to email the following documents to email@example.com
- Download Private Rental Application Form (must be completed in Word – no hand written applications will be accepted)
- Download PRB Budget Sheet (both sides must be completed in Excel format – no hand written budgets will be accepted)
- Download PRB Limits Breakdown Sheet
- Download VincentCare Victoria Consent Form
- Download the VincentCare Victoria consent/privacy brochure for your applicant:
- Copy of ID – photo ID and Medicare / Health Care Card (in colour where possible – must be a clear copy)
The Private Rental Brokerage Program Coordinator will notify case managers of the outcome of their application/s. Support will be offered around unsuccessful applications.