Free and confidential financial counselling
The financial counselling and capability service teaches people strategies to help them manage their finances and build their capacity so they become comfortable with handling and managing their money.
Are you experiencing any of the following?
- I’ve got money worries
- I’ve been juggling bills and I’m threatened with disconnection of gas, electricity or water
- I’m unemployed and can’t pay my credit card or loans
- I’m avoiding debt collectors
- I’m struggling to make ends meet
- I’m given my things to cash converters
- My car is about to be repossessed and I don’t know what to do
- The sheriff has come to the door to take my things
There is free and confidential financial counselling available. Financial Counsellors can work with you to find a solution and assist you in relieving your financial stress. All our financial counsellors are qualified professionals trained specifically to work with people experiencing financial difficulties. Financial Counsellors do not lend or give money.
What help is available?
A financial counsellor can help with:
- Assessing your overall financial situation.
- Providing advice on what to do if you are experiencing difficulties paying bills, fines or debts.
- Giving information about the options available to you regarding debt with creditors.
- Giving information about the legal processes of debt collection and bankruptcy.
Advocating to financial institutions on your behalf (if necessary)
- A financial capability worker can help with:
- Addressing immediate financial needs
- Developing money management skills.
- Providing coaching to help you make better financial decisions and build financial independence
- Budgeting support
Don’t wait, get in touch and start taking control of your money today.
MoneyHelp | 1800 007 007 | www.moneyhelp.org.au
Free telephone financial counselling service
MoneySmart | www.moneysmart.gov.au
Australian government website with useful information and tools regarding financial matters
National Debt Hotline | http://www.ndh.org.au/
A free, independent and confidential not-for-profit service that helps people in Australia tackle their debt problems.
Consumer Action Law Centre | 1300 881 020 | www.consumeraction.org.au
Free telephone legal advice on consumer matters
Financial Ombudsman Service | 1300 780 808 | www.fos.org.au
Complaints regarding financial service providers, insurance companies and superannuation
Energy and Water Ombudsman | 1800 500 509 | www.ewov.com.au
Complaints regarding electricity, gas and water providers
Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman | 1800 062 058 | www.tio.com.au
Complaints regarding telephone and internet providers